Another family which played a leading role in Bayview’s early development was that of William and Susan Weedin. They purchased 240 acres around the end of the lagoon from Joseph Johnson in 1895. William Weedin had served for four years with the Union Seventh Missouri Cavalry during the Civil War. William and Susan had three sons, Jasper, Luther, Herbert, and a daughter, Rhoda. Their home was a large impressive two-story dwelling which is still a landmark in the community and is now owned by David Henny of the Whidbey Telephone Company. Susan died in 1920 and William about ten years later, in 1930. Both are buried in the Bayview cemetery.
Jasper and Mae moved to Oregon. Herbert and his wife, Christine, continued with the ranch until their deaths. They are both buried in Bayview cemetery. They were the parents of twin boys. Rhoda Weedin married Bernie Cram and they made their home in the Bayview area until their children were grown after which they moved to Noli, Oregon.
Luther Weedin established himself in Coupeville rather than with the rest of the family at Bayview. He had a real estate and abstract office. From 1899 to 1902 he was Island County Sheriff at the height of the problems with smugglers of opium and Chinese. He is credited with breaking up the smuggling headquarters on Ben Uri’s Island at Deception Pass. From 1905 to 1908 he was Island County assessor and from 1909 to 1910 he was county treasurer. From 1921 to 1923 he was United States commissioner for immigration for Puget Sound. He died in 1942. [Note: the above material was obtained from Ingar Matthews, Island County Historical Society officer and a niece of Luther Weedin. She lived with them for a time.]