The names of George and Catherine Finn occur repeatedly in accounts of the lives of various settlers in the Useless Bay area in the 1870s, but the actual date of their arrival is not recorded. It is a matter of record, however, that the Finns purchased a tract of land in 1877 from Edward Oliver and Thomas Johns.
Jacob Anthes reports in his journal that he visited the Finns during his travels around South Whidbey in 1880. Also, George and Catherine Finn were the, witnesses at the marriage of Edward Oliver and Zah-toh-litsa (Jane) Johnson in 1887.
George Finn was born in Maine, June 4, 1836. He and his wife had two children, both born on South Whidbey — Alberta, in July, 1878, and John, born 4
in June, 1882. John later was killed in a logging accident. Alberta married Willard A. Cates in 1902 and, for a time, they lived in the old house where Alberta was born.
The house remained standing for over 100 years. Built largely of lumber which had come from passing ships, and washed up on the beach at high tide, it was located between the Double Bluff road and the Lancaster Road.
George and Catherine Finn are buried in the upper part of the property and their graves, which are not marked, are now overgrown with ivy. The property was later sold to Sheldon Johnson who knew the Cates family before Alberta and Willard were married.